Single-use plastics end up littering the environment in part because of irresponsible individual behavior. Poor waste management systems also play an enormous role. According to recent estimates (2018), 79% of the plastic waste ever produced now sits in landfills, dumps or in the environment, while about 12% has been incinerated and only 9% has been recycled.
- Plastic bag block sewage systems and provide breeding grounds for mosquitoes and other pests.
- Plastic waste and microplastics, ingested by fish or other marine life, can enter our food chain.
- Styrofoam items contain toxic chemicals such as styrene and benzene. Both are considered carcinogenic and can lead to additional health complications.
- Visual unpleasant quality of a park or beach being contaminated with litter has a huge impact on our mood and mental health.
- Report litter in and around your community using TrashOut App – 20 Points
- Earn the most points by picking up litter and submitting a before and after pictures – 200 Points
Trashtag challenge where a large family cleaned up a littered beach.
- Purchase on our online store and local stores with the points you have earned. Become a Local Hero – We will submit your pictures to our Instagram page and Local Newspapers.